A creative director, copywriter and brand strategist, Carl Loeb started creating award-winning advertising since around the time Bentley Rhythm Ace started making music. Carl has had more staying power.
He’s a strategic thinker who digs into advertising problems until he gets to the brand and integration problems at the foundation. As a writer, he’s known for being versatile, prolific, literate, and able to express complex ideas in easy-to-understand terms.
His clients have included Converse, Mens Journal, Microsoft, Cantor Fitzgerald, The Oregon Lottery, Cellular One, Jackson Family Wines, The Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and Volkswagen. His work has won multiple international advertising awards, in multiple years, for multiple clients. Citations include the Cannes Lions, One Show, Communication Arts, Art Director’s Club, Effie, MPA Kelly Awards, Archive and Radio Mercury Awards. He has served as chair of the radio jury for the One Show.
He lives in the San Francisco bay area with his family and dogs. He loves dogs.
How’s my schedule?
Currently booked. Please check back for updates.
Hire me for:
Advertising and Integrated Creative Direction, Creative Concept, Writing, Brand Strategy, Brand Voice
My best subjects:
Automotive, Consumer Technology, Enterprise Technology, Business to Business, Financial, Wine & Spirits, Men’s Lifestyle
Creative Director | Salesforce
2014-Today, San Francisco
Owner + Creative Director | Grand
2010-2014, San Francisco
I was CD and writer at a studio that built brands and integrated campaigns. I was also President of an ad agency, overseeing day-to-day management, leading business development efforts, managing partnerships, building teams, and ensuring profitability. Golly, I did it all.
- Smári Organic Icelandic Yogurt. Launched the first Organic Icelandic Yogurt in the USA. Created brand ID, package design, web site, sales materials and advertising.
- Own Products. Built smartphone app delivering clinical-quality skin analysis and tracking progress of anti-aging regimen.
- Cambria Winery. Refreshed brand personality for one of the best-selling wines in the Jackson Family portfolio.
Clients: Visa, City of San Francisco, Smari Organics, Microsoft Advertising, Microsoft Digital Crimes Unit, McAfee, Jackson Family Wines, Corkscrew Winery, Own Products.
SVP, Creative | McCann Erickson
2005-2009, San Francisco
As a creative director and writer, I made global integrated advertising campaigns for the world’s largest software company.
- Microsoft “People Ready.” Developed and co-led the first worldwide campaign to unify Microsoft’s B2B product lines as one integrated solution.
- Windows Live “I’m Initiative.” Directed the most successful campaign in Windows Live/MSN history. Part integrated campaign, part viral social movement.
Clients: Microsoft Enterprise, Dynamics, Server and Tools, Windows, Windows Mobile, Boys & Girls Clubs of America, Penfold’s
Creative Director + Writer | Freelance
Consulting writer and CD at agencies including McCann Erickson, Cramer/Krasselt, Hill Holliday, Lowe, and Berlin Cameron Partners.
VP, Group Creative Director | Publicis
2004, New York
Directed teams serving Principal Financial, Fuji Film, RCA/Phillips, and UBS.
ACD | Bartle Bogle Hegarty
2001-2003, New York
- Cantor Fitzgerald: “Work with Us.” Helped legendary Wall Street firm affirm its determination after losing nearly everything on 9/11/2001.
- Mens Journal: “Live the Interesting Life.” Directed award-winning trade campaign that launched magazine’s theme for the next decade.
Clients: ING Direct, Cantor Fitzgerald, Mens Journal, eSpeed, Levis, Unilever
Writer | Arnold
- Volkswagen of America: “Drivers Wanted.” Created multiple campaigns that drove the rebirth of the Volkswagen brand in the US.
- Massachusetts Department of Public Health: “They Knew”. Researched newly-released top-secret tobacco industry documents. Created first campaign to reveal that the industry had always known its product was both addictive and deadly.
Clients: Volkswagen, Converse, Massachusetts Department of Public Health, CMGI
Writer | Moffatt/Rosenthal
Clients included Oregon Lottery, Goodwill Industries, Cellular One, Red Chip Review